Cully A. Cobb of Atlanta, Georgia, received his degree from
Mississippi A. & M. College (now Mississippi State University).
superintendent of the first agricultural high school established
in Mississippi - Buena Vista. After two years in this position,
he became head of the Boy's Agriculture Club Division at State,
a position he held from 1910 to 1918. He served as assistant
director of Agricultural Extension in 1917.
of 1918, Mr. Cobb became editor of the Southern Ruralist in
Atlanta, Georgia. He was elected president of the American
Agricultural Editors Association three terms in succession.
the Southern Ruralist was sold to the Progressive Farmer,
and Mr. Cobb served as managing editor of the Georgia-Alabama
edition of that publication for a short time before going
to Washington in 1933 to take charge of the Cotton Division
of the newly formed Agricultural Adjustment Administration.
moved back to Atlanta in September, 1937. He purchased the
majority of stock of the Ruralist Press and was named president.
The Ruralist Press was one of the largest printing concerns
in the South. He sold the business in 1971.
took an active interest in trade organization affairs and
served as president of the Master Printers Association of
Atlanta, president of the printers Association of Georgia,
and president of the Union Employers' Section of the Printing
Industry of America.
he received the honorary doctor of science degree from Clemson
College. In 1959, he was honored with the distinguished service
award by the Printing Industry of Atlanta, and, in 1962, he
received the distinguished service award from the Printing
Industry of America. He was active in civic as well as church
affairs for almost 70 years and was a teacher of the Berean
Class in the Sunday School of the Druid Hills Baptist Church
for more than 30 years. He was a 32nd degree Mason.
was first married in 1910 to Byrdie Ball of Buena Vista, Mississippi,
who died in 1932. Two sons were born to that union - Cully
A Cobb, Jr., and David A. Cobb. In 1934, he was married to
Lois P. Dowdle of Atlanta.
A. Cobb was born Lois P. Dowdle at Rome, Georgia, August 1,
1889. After attending public schools at Rome, she began her
college studies at Shorter College. She continued her education
at the University of Georgia where she received her B.S. degree
and did graduate work at Cornell University.
work experiences were concerned with various areas of teaching
and with service as a county agent. Later she was State Girls'
Club agent in charge of the Girls' 4-H club work in the state
of Georgia. During World War I, Mrs. Cobb served as director
of Food Production and Food Preservation for Georgia as an
appointee of Herbert Hoover (then Federal Food Administrator
but who later became President). Between 1932-1934, Mrs. Cobb
was director of the American Institute of Home Grown Fats
and Oils and, as such, was instrumental in persuading Congress
to remove restrictive legislation against the manufacture
and sale of oleomargarine. She has served as an editor, a
writer, a school teacher, administrator, trustee and homemaker.
She was a president of the Georgia Home Economics Association.
She is the only woman who served as president of the Southern
Association of Agricultural Workers (this honor was awarded
her in February, 1932).
24, 1934, she married Cully A. Cobb of Atlanta, Georgia. Over
the years, Mr. And Mrs. Cobb traveled extensively in Europe
and the Near East.
Mrs. Cobb have been generous patrons of numerous worthy causes.
Mrs. Cobb has been a friend of students, helping dozens of
needy students with their formal education. The Cobbs also
assisted over a dozen families of young student ministers
of Emory University in Atlanta by providing free housing for
them in their garage apartment. After Mr. Cobb's death, their
home at Decatur, Georgia, was given to Emory University.
Cobb served faithfully as a teacher in the T.E.L. Class of
Druid Hills Baptist Church for 35 years while still retaining
her membership in the Methodist church in Druid Hills.
Mr. and Mrs. Cobb provided the funds for the Cobb Institute
of Archaeology in June of 1971. Ground breaking ceremonies
at the building site were held on April 14, 1973. On that
occasion Mr. and Mrs. Cobb were joined by Dr. William L. Giles,
then President of Mississippi State University. Mr. Cobb delivered
an address titled "This is the
Day" which articulated something of the inspiration that
moved him to the founding of an archaeological institute and
expressed his special loyalty to and appreciation of Mississippi
State University. The Institute building was constructed in
1974 and was completed in 1975. Regrettably Mr. Cobb passed
away on May 25 of that year, just before final work on the
building and its furnishings was fully completed. The Institute
building was formally dedicated in October, 1975.
several years that followed Mrs. Cobb made fairly regular
visits to Mississippi State University and the Institute.
In 1979 her 90th birthday was celebrated by the dedication
of a copy of the Lion Panel from the Ishtar Gate in ancient
Babylon which was erected on the landing at the entrance to
the museum. This formally recognized her special interest
and support of the museum's development and activities which
was named The Lois Dowdle Cobb Museum of Archaeology in her
honor. This was her final trip to Starkville. Mrs. Cobb spent
her remaining years in Decatur, Geogia where she died on August
9, 1987 at the age of 98.